Monday, December 17, 2012

Song #49: Autumn Leaves

This song is for all the parents who lost children in the Newtown Connecticut elementary school shooting. When I heard about it on the news, I was in shock and horror. How could anybody do anything like that? I went home, hugged my children and hoped nothing like that would ever happen to them.

I started writing the piano part for this when I was a missionary in New Canaan, Connecticut (about 35 miles from Newtown). Connecticut is gorgeous in the fall so I was able to come up the title "Autumn Leaves" along with a few other lines. The song took on a new meaning after the shooting. I finished the words and recorded it tonight. The lyrics talk about the seasons passing and a parent never really able to get through the grief of losing a child. They question God and if there is any justice in the world. Then, the departed child visits the parent in a dream, comforting them and letting them know they in a better place, that the love they share continues and they will be reunited. I hope this song will bring comfort to a few people.

No comments:

Post a Comment