Monday, March 12, 2012

Song #11: Change My Design

This week's song is quite possibly the sappiest love song ever written! I wrote it a long, long time ago (election day of 2000, to be exact)! Although its a breakup song at its core, the lyrics were influenced by the idea of campaigning for an election and how it relates to love and relationships; the idea that the decisions we make during a relationships (our "votes", if you will) can determine what the future course of our life will be and whether the other people will be a part of it. I thought it was appropriate given that we are in the midst of presidential primaries right now.
The music was influenced by the Scottish band, Travis. I saw them back in high school when they came to Seattle and opened for Oasis. I remember liking them so much better than Oasis. I went out and bought "The Man Who", which remains one of my favorite albums to this day. When it came time to record the song, I didn't have a snare drum so I ended up using a shoe box instead! But I think it works.
So, I'm thinking this could be one of those big cross-over country and/or R&B songs ("I Will Always Love You"). Any ideas on who I should try to get to record it? (Unfortunately, Whitney Houston is not around. Otherwise she would be my pick!).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment